November 20-24: Five-Day, In-Person Workshop in London, UK
Register for this workshop here.
This workshop is a five-day in-person training that will teach digital investigation techniques and provide extensive guided, hands-on practice. The workshop will run over a full week, from November 20 to 24, 2023. Each day, the workshop will run for approximately eight hours (9am to 5pm, including lunch and breaks) in London, UK. Only 20 seats are available for this event. All participants must attend in person.
At least two (usually three) Bellingcat trainers will be present throughout the week.
Our in-person workshops are split into two segments: approximately three days (~24 hours) of hands-on training developing approaches and techniques of digital investigation, and approximately two days (~16 hours) of guided project work. The content of our training is similar to that of our 16-hour webinars, but with the benefit of in-person interaction and assistance. We also have at least one “guest appearance” of other researchers working in digital investigations, either appearing in-person or virtually.
The course’s content over the first three days will include:
- Introduction to open source investigation
- Creative search fundamentals
- How to conduct (nearly) traceless and anonymous/pseudonymous research
Beginning & advanced verification topics, including:
- Verification of user-generated materials
- Intuitive reverse search techniques in digital investigations
- Geolocation & chronolocation of visual materials
- Using mapping and satellite services in investigations
Beginning & advanced social media topics, including:
- Fundamental techniques and creative search strategies on individuals & groups
- Platform-specific tutorials, including Telegram and others as time allows (e.g. 4chan/8kun, “alternative” social platforms such as Gab, etc.)
- Tracking transportation services (e.g. naval vessels, aircraft) for investigations
After confirmation of registration and payment, we will send the precise workshop venue location, time, and other logistical details to workshop participants in the week before the event. The venue is easily accessible within London. Please note that the location on the map on the Eventzilla page is not accurate for the actual venue — this is just the default location for London on the site. Coffee, tea and light lunches will be provided to participants at the venue.
The baseline cost for the workshop is 2,500 EUR per participant, in line with the rate for our webinars (250 EUR per 4-hour segment) plus VAT and a small fee to cover costs from Eventzilla and transaction costs. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We are looking forward to seeing our participants again in person!
Register for this workshop here.
Our full workshop slate for the fall of 2023:
- November 7-10, 10am-2pm Amsterdam time: 16-hour training, the full experience (beginning + advanced verification, beginning + advanced social media)
- November 14-17, 9am-1pm New York / 3pm-7pm Amsterdam time: 16-hour training, the full experience (beginning + advanced verification, beginning + advanced social media)
- November 20-24, 9am-5pm, in-person workshop in London, UK: a five-day, 40-hour in-person training that will teach digital investigation techniques and provide extensive guided, hands-on practice.
December 5-8, 11am-3pm New York / 5pm-9pm Amsterdam time: 16-hour training, the full experience (beginning + advanced verification, beginning + advanced social media)