We're Hiring: IT Engineer
(Paid part-time position, 32h per week, fixed one-year contract with possibility of extension, based in the Netherlands or remotely)
March 12, 2021
Bellingcat is an independent international collective of researchers and citizen journalists who use verifiable digital information to investigate a broad range of topics, validate facts and uncover wrongdoing. When making our findings public, we show our evidence and demonstrate our workings step-by-step, advancing justice, transparency and accountability. We cooperate, share and train others to leverage and spread our knowledge, build networks and expand the community of open source researchers.
Collaboration: We work as a team and believe that the collective is stronger than any individual.
Curiosity: We dig through digital data and choose our research topics independently.
Tenacity: We value the process of searching for the truth and we persist.
Diversity: We attract a variety of people to sharpen our ideas and broaden our investigations.
Inventiveness: We connect the dots and develop methods to benefit all, not just a few.
Integrity: We are honest and professional in our work and as individuals.
JOIN OUR TEAM
We have created a unique field where advanced technology, forensic research, journalism, investigative work, transparency, and accountability come together. Do you want to be part of this exciting adventure? We are looking for a part-time IT engineer to join our team.
You will set up and develop a secure infrastructure for internal use and to communicate with our volunteers. Your main focus will be on identifying and meeting the organisation’s privacy and security needs. You will also work with the Bellingcat tech team to design and build infrastructure for new technical initiatives, including collaborative data warehousing, making new open source tools available to the public, and a volunteer contribution forum.
- Monitor the organisation’s digital security needs, develop and implement an organisation-wide digital security policy and guidelines.
- System admin of office and remote equipment.
- Working with our datacentre and partners to maintain a WordPress website. Front-end development experience is a plus.
- Research and implementation of internal open source solutions for communication and file sharing.
- Helpdesk responsibilities: answering employees’ questions about technical issues with Bellingcat infrastructure.
- Actively support our researchers during research on cybersecurity topics or, if interested, to conduct your own research in the remaining time.
- A thorough grounding in open source , consisting of experience with Linux, VPNs such as Wireguard and OpenVPN, firewalls, etc.
- Experience with scripting languages (bash, Perl, Python, or similar) for server administration and automation. Additional software development experience and familiarity with infrastructure as code is a plus.
- A proven track record in addressing cyber risks and threats on both the organisational and individual level.
- A healthy level of paranoia concerning digital security.
- Strong troubleshooting and communication skills to facilitate the work of our researchers (including colleagues with less technical experience).
- Being a team player with excellent ability to work independently, able to balance flexibility with a high degree of responsibility.
- A firm commitment to the role of independent journalism in a democratic society and an affinity with Bellingcat’s groundbreaking investigations.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Bellingcat is a charitable organisation and remuneration is in line with the salaries range in the non-profit sector. We offer a gross annual salary of 59-62k EUR (depending on experience), including holiday allowance.
- This is a part-time position for 32 hours per week.
- An initial fixed one year contract with possibility for extension subject to performance.
- Additional benefits & incentives subject to excellence in performance.
- The position can either be based in the Netherlands, or remote (in the latter case occasional travel to the Netherlands might be required).
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to Bellingcat’s innovative and groundbreaking work, which has a global impact.
Please send your motivation letter and resume to email@example.com no later than 15 April 2021. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next round (by 28 April 2021).
Bellingcat is committed to a diverse working environment. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, origin, religion, age, gender or sexual orientation. Your formal education is less important to us than your previous work experience in the field.