Bellingcat is Hiring! US Business Development Manager
9 March, 2023
We are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager based anywhere in the US to join our growing team. We are a Dutch-based Foundation and have recently founded the Bellingcat Fund Inc. ( 501c3) in the US. Reporting to the Lead Fundraiser at Bellingcat, your role will be vitally important to help raise our profile in the US market and strike up relationships with a variety of institutional and individual funders and donors.
Who We Are
Bellingcat is an independent non-profit organization of international researchers, investigators and citizen journalists using open source and social media investigations to probe conflict, corruption, crimes, misinformation, disinformation, extremist groups and much, much more. We have received multiple awards for our research and publications that shine a light on wrongdoing. Our community (which includes staff, contributors and volunteers around the world) works in a unique field where technology, forensic research, journalism and the advancement of justice and accountability come together. Do you want to join this exciting adventure?
Who You Are
You have a demonstrable track record in generating resources from institutional, public and private funding streams.
You are enthusiastic about working for an international nonprofit organization that uses publicly available data and open source analysis to investigate a variety of topics that are in the public interest and advance transparency.
Strategy & Planning
- Develop and successfully implement a strategy for the US funding market with clear income targets and budgeting across the range of revenue streams
- Identify new potential income streams and produce strategies to access these funds in line with our fundraising policy
- Lead the annual review and revision of fundraising plans for the US market to ensure our overall strategy is successful
Fundraising within the US
- Research prospective donors in line with the fundraising policy
- Build and cultivate relationships with current and potential donors
- Create a strong fundraising message that appeals to potential donors in the US
- Prepare, support and write funding proposals in coordination with the team
- Regularly monitor, register and report progress of projects to donors, ensuring that all compliance and reporting requirements are satisfied
- Maintain comprehensive donor information records (including fundraising information management system)
- Use online platforms to raise donations (social media, Patreon etc)
- Organize campaigns or events to solicit donations
- Evaluate the success of all fundraising activities
Experience & Skill Set
- At least five years experience in a similar role with a proven track record of generating resources from large funding portfolios (both institutional and private)
- Demonstrable experience in strategic fundraising within the US funding market is a requirement
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key stakeholders and donor relationships
- Excellent project management skills including impeccable time management, problem solving and organizational abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (native-level)
- Experience and/or knowledge related to media, press freedom, investigative journalism and technology is an asset
- Digital & data security awareness is an asset
- Experience with Monday.com is an asset
- Knowledge in funding media and media productions (documentaries, podcasts, etc.) including management of intellectual property rights is an asset
What We Offer
Bellingcat is a young and innovative international team with a flat organizational structure and a lot of flexibility. We look at results, not office hours. Our distributed model of work encourages initiative, a high degree of responsibility and ownership of both your successes and challenges. We value and reward the drive for excellence and don’t put up with the bare minimum.
The position is based in and involves frequent travels within the US. Occasional travel to the head office in The Netherlands may be required.
The position is based on full-time (40 hours per week) employment with an initial one-year contract (three months probation period, with possibility for extension or permanent contract subject to performance).
The salary range (based on 1 fte, 40 h/pw) is within the framework of the non-profit sector and is between 80.000 and 90.000 USD (commensurate with experience).
We offer a generous comprehensive benefits package inclusive of a wellbeing contribution to support a healthy work life balance. Additional benefits include 25 (twenty five) days of paid holiday days per year, yearly budget for personal development and yearly paid sabbatical leave (the latter two are subject to eligibility).
How To Apply
Bellingcat is committed to a diverse working environment. Our team is international, from a wide range of backgrounds and we always welcome and appreciate new perspectives and life experiences. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, origin, religion, age, gender or sexual orientation. Your formal education is less important to us than your previous experience in the field.
Please send a resume and motivation letter by April 10th 2023 addressed to Lead Fundraiser at firstname.lastname@example.org, noting that you are applying for the US Business Development Manager position in the subject line. Please also refer to and describe previous fundraising portfolios, including details of generated resources in your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be approached and invited for the next selection round in mid-April.