Bellingcat is Hiring: Social Media Producer
2 November, 2022
We are looking for a Social Media Producer to join our growing team. An exciting role with big creative possibilities, you will help expand our social media platforms and bring Bellingcat content to new audiences.
Who We Are
Bellingcat is an independent collective of international researchers using open source and social media investigations to probe conflict, corruption, crimes, misinformation, disinformation, extremist groups and much, much more. We have received multiple awards for our research and publications that shine a light on wrongdoing. Our community (which includes staff, contributors and volunteers around the world) works in a unique field where technology, forensic research, journalism and the advancement of justice and accountability come together.
Who You Are
You have a demonstrable track record producing engaging content on social media platforms, an ability to grow social media audiences and experiment with the latest platforms as well as an interest in open source research and/or investigations.
You are enthusiastic about working for an international nonprofit organisation that uses publicly available data and open source analysis to investigate a variety of topics that are in the public interest and which advance transparency.
- Create engaging content for Bellingcat’s social media platforms and lead efforts to grow our online community
- Develop new ways to tell Bellingcat stories and interact with audiences on different social sites
- Grow Bellingcat’s presence on existing and new social platforms
- Promote open source research and methodologies to wide audiences
- Work with editors to develop long-term social media strategy
- Work closely with Bellingcat researchers and investigators to find storytelling opportunities on social media platforms
Skills And Experience
- At least three-years experience posting and communicating for news, media organisations or NGOs on social media platforms
- Experience creating engaging content for established and emerging social media platforms such as TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Twitch, Discord, Reddit, Facebook and LinkedIn
- A track record producing audio-visual content and experience with video and audio editing software (Adobe Creative Suite or similar)
- A deep understanding of the internet as well as an ability to foster communities on a variety of social media platforms
- Strong/robust digital security awareness
- Sound editorial judgement and attention to detail
- Knowledge of social media best practice
- A familiarity with Bellingcat’s work
- An interest and familiarity with open source investigations
- The desire to develop new types of visual storytelling using the results of open source research
- Calmness under pressure and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Strong personal and relationship building skills
- Full professional proficiency in English language skills preferred
- Fluency in other languages (including Mandarin, Arabic or Spanish) beneficial
- Willingness to work independently with colleagues spread across several time zones (remote working is possible in this role)
What We Offer
Bellingcat is a young, innovative and diverse international team with a flat organisational structure and a lot of flexibility. We look at results, not office hours. Our distributed model of work encourages initiative, a high degree of responsibility and ownership of both your successes and challenges. We value and reward the drive for excellence and don’t put up with the bare minimum.
We are open to this position being full-time or part-time (at least 3.5 days per week) in the beginning, with an initial one-year contract (three months probation period and the possibility for extension or permanent contract subject to performance).
The salary range (based on 1 fte, i.e. full-time employment 40 hours per week) is within the framework of the non-profit sector and is between 48,000 and 51,000 EUR/USD depending on experience and track record.
Additional benefits include 25 (twenty five) days of paid holiday days per year (based on 1 fte), full social security benefits (in case employment is in an EU country), contribution for health insurance (in case employment is in the US), yearly budget for personal development and yearly paid sabbatical leave (the latter two are subject to eligibility).
How To Apply
Bellingcat is committed to a diverse working environment. Our team is international, from a wide range of backgrounds and we always welcome and appreciate new perspectives and life experiences. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, origin, religion, age, gender or sexual orientation. Your formal education is less important to us than your previous experience in the field.
Please apply by sending a CV, a cover letter explaining your suitability for this role and examples of social/multimedia content you have produced or overseen to email@example.com. We also request that you send details of three references we can contact if you are selected for this role. Please note the job you are applying for in the subject line of your email. The deadline to apply for this role is 27 November 2022. Given we expect to receive a high number of applications, it will not be possible to respond to all applications.