Bellingcat Is Hiring: Senior Fundraiser
Published 14 October 2021
We are looking for an experienced Senior Fundraiser to come and join our growing team (remote working possible). A vitally important and strategic role within our organisation, you will help us raise our profile and strike up relationships with a variety of institutional and individual funders and donors.
Who We Are
Bellingcat is an independent collective of international researchers, investigators and citizen journalists using open source and social media investigations to probe conflict, corruption, crimes, misinformation, disinformation, extremist groups and much, much more. We have received multiple awards for our research and publications that shine a light on wrongdoing. Our community (which includes staff, contributors and volunteers around the world) works in a unique field where technology, forensic research, journalism and the advancement of justice and accountability come together. Do you want to join this exciting adventure?
Who You Are
You have a demonstrable track record in generating resources from institutional, private (foundations and impact teams) as well as individual funding streams.
You are enthusiastic about working for an international nonprofit organisation that uses publicly available data and open source analysis to investigate a variety of topics that are in the public interest and which advance transparency.
Strategy & Planning
- Lead the annual fundraising planning process to produce effective strategies to achieve income targets across the range of revenue streams
- In cooperation with the Executive Board, lead the development of a long-term strategy to achieve agreed organisational goals
- Identify new potential income streams and produce strategies to access these funds
- Lead the annual review and revision of fundraising plans to ensure our strategy is successful
- Research prospective donors
- Create a strong fundraising message that appeals to potential donors
- Identify, build, and cultivate relationships with potential donors and supporters
- Prepare, support, and write funding proposals in coordination with the team
- Maintain comprehensive donor information records (including fundraising information management system)
- Use online platforms to raise donations (social media, Patreon etc)
- Organise campaigns or events to solicit donations
- Evaluate the success of previous fundraising events
- Ensure that all compliance and reporting requirements are satisfied
- Regularly monitor, register and report progress on fundraising outreach and activities to donors
- Lead and develop grant management systems to ensure activity progress and financial management is well maintained and reported upon
- Prepare the Annual Reports (narrative) in cooperation with team
Experience & Skill Set
- At least five years’ experience in a similar role
- Demonstrable track record of strategic fundraising
- Experience (and track record) of utilising the strength of an organisation’s brand for charity/not-for-profit development
- Proven track record of meeting challenging income generation and reporting targets, evidence of generating resources from large funding portfolios (both institutional and private)
- Proven ability to build, manage and develop key stakeholders and donor relationships
- Excellent project management skills including impeccable time management, problem solving and organisational abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (near native-level)
- Experience and/or knowledge related to media, press freedom, investigative journalism and technology is an asset
- Digital & data security awareness is an asset
- Knowledge of and experience with the US funding market is an asset
What We Offer
Bellingcat is a young, innovative and diverse international team with a flat organisational structure and a lot of flexibility. We look at results, not office hours. Our distributed model of work encourages initiative, a high degree of responsibility and ownership of both your successes and challenges. We value and reward the drive for excellence and don’t put up with the bare minimum.
The position is based on part-time (24-32 hours per week) employment with an initial one-year contract (three months probation period, with possibility for extension or permanent contract subject to performance). Depending on the development of the role, the position can be extended to full time.
The salary range (based on one fte) is within the framework of the non-profit sector and is between 64,000 and 68,000 USD depending on experience and track record.
Additional benefits include 25 (twenty five) days of paid holiday days per year, salary (70%) guarantee in case of prolonged illness, yearly budget for personal development and yearly paid sabbatical leave (the latter three are subject to eligibility).
The position is preferably based in the US, however we welcome candidates globally. Occasional travel to the head office in The Netherlands may be required.
How To Apply
Bellingcat is committed to a diverse working environment. Our team is international, from a wide range of backgrounds and we always welcome and appreciate new perspectives and life experiences. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, origin, religion, age, gender or sexual orientation. Your formal education is less important to us than your previous experience in the field.
Please send a resume and motivation letter by 5 November 2021 to Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org and refer to and describe previous fundraising portfolios, including details of generated resources in your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be approached and invited for the next selection round in mid-November.